Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Prices!

I went to the grocery store on my way home tonight and discovered something that really disturbs me. Paper towels (bounty and viva to be more specific) are now $2.38 a ROLL!! Now I'm not above paying a little bit more for quality - it actually used to make sense because you would use one instead of two or three to get the job done. But I just flat out refuse to pay that much for paper towels. I'm starting to think those sham-wows are looking much more cost effective.

Eddie and I are seriously thinking about getting chickens and starting to collect eggs (which are $2.50 a dozen now!) It makes some sense as long as you have enough eggs that will counter the cost of feed. I imagine if you had enough you could trade them to someone that has canned or frozen a bunch of stuff out of their garden. I am trying not to worry, but I fear that it will come to a point in the not so distant future that the barter system is going to be about the only way you can make ends meet.

I had a thought the other Sunday when our pastor was talking about John 3:16. He was stressing that God loved the world - the whole world and that on any given day there are (I cannot remember the exact number) 25,000 children who die from malnutrition in the world. Those are God's children too! And we are seriously failing at our job of taking care of them and telling them that God loves them. It's not just in other countries - it's here in America, in Georgia, in Hiawassee.

My lunch today cost over $7. What if I made the commitment to pack my dinner leftovers once a week for lunch and put even just $5 aside to help feed the hungry? Brown Bag it for The Lord if you will. By then end of the year I would have saved $260! If 200 people did it then it would be $52,000!! We have a new food pantry in our county - imagine what good $52,000 could do. What if 500 people did it? I know that there has to be 500 people that work in my home county so it's totally doable. That would be an amazing $130,000!!! I feel really drawn to do something about this, but I don't know where to start. Well, step one is pray and ask God to show me step two and bless the work I want to do. Who's with me?

No comments: