Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Really? Has it been since January that I last posted? Wow - I thought the older folks were kidding when they said time flies! It's been a good year so far. We've had some trials and issues, but that's just a part of life.

My 84 year old father fell off of a ladder back in May and cracked his pelvis and broke his tailbone. He's doing really well now. He had a few months where he was in quite a lot of pain, but he's getting around now with just a cane. Those first few weeks he couldn't really get up out of his recliner without assistance and it took 4 men to get him down his steps and into the car for his doctor's appointments. And what was he doing up on a ladder? Well, he was showing his grandson the best way to cut in a ceiling. When he stepped off the 4 foot ladder, he found out it was actually a 5 foot ladder and he missed that last step. We praise God for the amazing healing Dad has gotten.

Back at the end of February we were just enjoying a Sunday evening when the dog started doing that doggie dry heave - he would do it every so often so we just encouraged him to go outside to barf. Well, he did it a couple of times and then we noticed that his belly was starting to swell. We ended up taking him to the vet and had to put him down. He had developed the stomach bloat. There was an option for surgery - but it wasn't guaranteed and it would run almost $5,000. Ugh, that was the hardest decision to make but we knew that it was the responsible thing to do. So, as of now we have one kitty left. We eventually want another dog, but aren't actively looking.

I turned 40 this year. Where did my 30's go?? On the inside I feel exactly the same as I did when I was in college. Unfortunately my back and knees are starting to feel their age! As long as I'm not making a grunting/groaning noise when I get up out of a chair or up in the morning I consider it just a minor annoyance - nothing some motrin can't handle anyway! Haha!

The in-law side of the family is doing well. MIL had an issue with her blood-pressure over the summer but I think they might have finally hit on the right combo of meds and it's starting to come down. She doesn't sleep well and physically taking care of my FIL is wearing on her - both physically and emotionally. We go down once a week and keep her stocked in groceries and help out any way we can around the house. It's hard not to get resentful sometimes, but I feel it's part of the reason we don't have kids. God knew what was ahead and that we would be needed in this capacity right now.

We managed to sneak away for a few days at the beginning of the month to Pigeon Forge. We are starting to know where things are, so getting around is easier. We stayed at the same condo we've stayed at the last few times - if you want a great deal, let me know and I'll get you the info for the lady who owns it. We wouldn't stay anywhere else. We went to Cades Cove one afternoon - after picking up a bucket of chicken for a picnic. We went to an exotic petting zoo so I could pet and feed a camel. Those are really large creatures! Other than that we pretty much slept late and ate alot.

We miss the beach but not only is it so far away, but with the oil spill we are probably not going to go that way for awhile. Just because the company says the oil is gone - I want to wait awhile and let the ocean take care of it for awhile. I worry about the chemicals they used if it's still in the water and sand. I'm afraid it's going to be awhile for all that to work itself out. Not really wanting to eat shrimp unless I know it comes from some other part of the ocean and world.

Enjoy the first day of Autumn. I'm in the mood to pull out my knitting - the cooler evenings are more conducive to heavy needlework in your lap.

1 comment:

Emily Catherine said...

Glad to see you're updating again! Keep it up!