My niece, Audrey, is getting married this weekend. For some reason that really brings home how quickly time has gone by. Seeing a child graduate from high school or college is one thing, but knowing that little girl is stepping out into the world as a married woman makes me feel old. Okay, perhaps not old old - but makes me miss the years gone by and miss it when they were little.
I don't have children of my own - but I've borrowed my sister's and brothers' children enough that I think of them as my almost children. My sister lived right next door to us when I was a teen and I helped her out with them almost daily - and I loved almost every minute of it. (Projectile vomiting and dirty diapers being the exceptions). I loved playing barbies with them. I loved getting on the floor and coloring with them. I loved when they would share their secrets with me when they got older. I loved wearing toy tiaras and watching Miss America with them. Ah, sweet memories.
Don't get me wrong - they weren't all sunshine and sweetness - they used to fight like cats and dogs especially when there was only one of something left or they thought someone got a bigger or better something than they did. But as a whole watching them grow into the beautiful and successful women they are today was a true blessing.
Back to the wedding - it's going to be at the World Trade Center Atlanta. The webpage looks like a gorgeous location for a wedding. It's an evening wedding so I've gotten myself a snexy black dress and Ed has a snexy black suit he is going to wear. I look forward to seeing everyone in the family all dressed up. We clean up pretty good. I hope Mom goes on paint patrol and checks my dad's ears. He had a little spot of paint on one of his ears for my wedding (shhh don't tell mom, I don't think she knew.) but really, it wouldn't matter if he did. Paint is who he is. Sometimes I think that is all that is holding him together. *ha!*
Weddings are a great time to get together with your family.
2 comments:
Katie here is a story from when I was very small!
I was at your dad's house with you, Audrey, Susie, and Laura. And we were watching New Kids on the Block on TV. I don't know how old I was, but... LITTLE. And anyway I have no recollection of your personal opinion on the New Kids-- I just remember that you were there and you were hanging out with us-- but certainly Laura and Audrey thought they were ultra-cool. And I thought Laura and Audrey were ultra-cool, so when we got back from our trip, I made my mom take me to go buy some New Kids tapes.
Oh man!
So that is my first memory of, well, all of you people. ;)
Hope y'all had a great time! I was visiting my grandmother last weekend and she told me that your dad painted her house about 20 years ago. What a small, small world. To think that my husbands family would know my family in such a random place as Hiawassee.
Post a Comment